Why do we read?




As a child, my reading primarily consisted of short stories, comics, and articles in Diwali magazines, GK books, and mythology. However, I soon realized the stark difference between reading those materials and delving into a complete novel. This realization struck me at the age of 19, prompting me to venture into the global arena of literature.

I made a conscious decision to read English novels instead of their Marathi translations, my mother tongue. While Marathi literature boasts a vast collection of quality works, I sought more than mere entertainment from books. I yearned to observe and experience the lives of people worldwide, while also honing my linguistic skills in other languages. Given that English serves as a professional language in India and many parts of the world, it seemed like the logical choice.

Like another user on Quora mentioned, the first book holds a special place in one's heart. For me, it was Sidney Sheldon's 'Nothing Lasts Forever,' my inaugural experience of reading a full-length English novel. As a student whose primary language of instruction wasn't English, it posed a considerable challenge. My vocabulary was limited, so I resorted to jotting down every unfamiliar word I encountered in the novel. In the first 30 pages alone, I stumbled upon 150 new words I had never encountered before. It was a painstaking process, but I remained determined to complete the novel.

Around the 50-page mark, I began to grasp the story's essence, which helped quell the impulse to quit prematurely. I gradually stopped noting down every new word after reaching 100 pages because the story had enveloped me. Even if I didn't fully comprehend certain words, the narrative's flow allowed me to intuitively grasp their meanings. By the time I finished the novel, my worries about vocabulary had diminished, and I found myself continuously reflecting on the story in the days that followed.

In recent years, I haven't read as many books as before, but I can confidently say that I am a reader and genuinely enjoy the act of reading. Starting my literary journey with an English book rather than a Marathi one proved beneficial, as it broke down the barriers I had erected within my own mind. Consequently, I found myself appreciating Marathi literature more than ever after this successful endeavor.

Reflecting on my years of reading, I've observed a few key points:

1. To ensure completion of a book, persist through the initial 30 pages. Once you overcome that hurdle, there is a high likelihood of finishing the entire book. This approach has worked for me in over 80% of cases.

2. Choose books that offer a blend of valuable content and elements that pique your personal interest. By "elements," I refer to whatever captivates you, be it romance or other themes. It's akin to how Game of Thrones entices viewers with its engaging storyline, while also incorporating explicit content. While the story itself is a work of art, such elements help maintain viewer engagement. As your reading evolves, you may find such aids unnecessary.

3. Remember that nothing surpasses the treasure trove of good books when it comes to engaging in conversations with intelligent women. Money may attract superficial individuals, but reading provides an unparalleled foundation for connecting with exceptional women. May this realization inspire you.

An early start is crucial, as 28 years of age is relatively late to cultivate any habit, not just reading. However, the fact that you are asking this question indicates that you possess the necessary qualities to achieve anything in the world—a burning desire to succeed.
_*_

Wrote as an answer to the question-
Is it possible to develop a reading habit at the age of 28? If yes, then how can I enjoy reading books? On Quora.


* Thanks to the internet for the picture.

टिप्पण्या

Popular Articles on This Site

Grandma and the Dr. Pandurang Kumbhar Clinic at Nagar-Munnoli

अवकाश मोहिमांवर अवाढव्य खर्च करणे योग्य आहे का

आजी आणि नागरमुन्नोळीचे पांडुरंग कुंभार क्लीनिक