First World problem ЁЯЩВ



This email chain is the result of some bright students seeking advice from me back in 2015. The guy wanted the Computer Science branch in IITs but fell short by few marks to secure a seat.
It was amusing to see someone so successful pondering over the best of the best. 

I remember my admission days, mostly I was happy that I got an engineering seat in a college in Pune; IITs were a far-fetched dream.
I hope for someone this conversation will be useful. What do you think? Let me know in the comments.



1st Email -

Hi,
My brother plans to join NIT Surathkal computer engineering.
Can you please guide us on the future plan?

1.How much difference is there for admissions to foreign colleges for MS between IITs and top NITs?
2.Is it true that IITias have the upper hand in it?
3.He should take a gap of one year and gives the IIT entrance exam again?


Thanks,

My Reply #1

Hi,

NIT Surathkal is definitely a good college. Considering your brother's capabilities, he should have gotten into IITs. Sadly, it seems that it didn't happen.
Anyways, in my opinion, NIT Surathkal ranks above some of the IITs. MS admissions in top US colleges depend more upon GRE scores and student project activities than the BTech college itself. Of course, the IIT tag has its benefits too. Apart from good infrastructure, IITs have worldwide recognition which NITs seldom enjoy.

Many students take a gap year to get into IITs. It's a difficult choice to make. It depends on the individual how badly he wants to have an IITian tag.

People from non-IIT backgrounds can do well too. Take the example of current Microsoft CEO Sathya Nadella. The guy is not even from NIT. Ironically, his non-IITian background was subject of interest for many of us.

If your brother thinks that a year's effort is worthwhile to be in top-notch IITs, it is totally justifiable.
As I said, it's a very common practice in many IIT aspirants.


He knows better.. if I were you, I will trust his instincts.

Regards,

Ashish.

2nd Email -

Hello. Umesh here.

I am getting some branches in IITs but none of them are of my liking. I might also get CSE at NIT Trichy, but I don't think I will like it there. So, if I were to choose a college this year, it will be Surathkal CSE.

I am ready to reappear, but I haven't made a final decision. After all, it all comes down to a few hours of the examination. And to get the CS branch in top IITs is quite tough, so I have the next best thing with me, NITs.

If I repeat, my score surely won't be lesser than this year's. I will score AT LEAST these many marks and hence NITs as an option will still be there next year. But if it doesn't work out well, I will have to choose another branch like Mech or Electrical.

So I wanted to ask this. Even if I succeed to get CS in IITs next year, will the one year of my life worth the difference between NIT and IIT? Will the drop affect my CV later? What benefits do IITians enjoy on a global scale than NITians won't? Will it be fine to choose another decent branch in IITs and move on to the next degree?

Reply ASAP.

Thanks.
Regards.
Umesh

My Reply #2

Dear Umesh,
It's nice to hear from you. I'd heard so much about you from your sister.

Regarding your questions- I am not sure if I am the right person to answer.
I am not an IITan or NITan. My knowledge is based on my experience so far and whatever little reading I've done so far.

Being in IIT is an honor in itself. How it affects your career? Well, you get a certain edge in every aspect of your life. People know IIT even if they have never been to one of them.

I've read the biography of Achyut Godbole. He completed his BTech in IITB in chemical engineering and went on to become software Engg for IBM, Patni, and later CEO of L&T infotech and Disha technologies.
He had his troubles making the switch from chemical to CS. But his IIT tag seems to certainly help him climb the corporate ladder.

Now if you are certain that computer science is THE thing you want to do, I think it won't be wise to choose any other branch just for sake of IIT.

If you want to take chance with 1 year, you can.
You have a legitimate reason for that. In companies, people don't question the gaps if you can justify them. 1 year is nothing compared to the years of career you are going to have ahead.

Having said that, NITs are also not a bad option, if what you will do is to go for MS after BTech. You can target good Universities for MS. As I said in Sathya Nadella's example, IITs are not everything.. there are colleges beyond them in the US. So, it's your decision.

I know it's confusing for you. Anyone will feel the same way. Whatever your decision.. it is a good one. It depends on you how big you are going to make it in the future.. IIT or NIT. In a way, you have already won. NIT Surathkal is one of the top colleges in India.. so congrats.

If you want to get in touch with IITans and NITans who are out there, I would suggest that you post your question on Quora.Com and ask those people to answer.
I hope you know about Quora. If you don't know.. let me know I will post this question on your behalf.

All the best.

Regards,
Ashish


3rd Email -


Hello. Thanks for so much help!

Yes, I have been using Quora since I was in 11th. I had posted my question before, but as expected, all types of answers ranging from repeat to choosing good NITs appeared. It seems that even NIT Trichy is a dream for many people. So, I am sure you can understand the immense pressure I am feeling from my peers about taking a drop.

I have this other plan. I will join COEP. I will join a coaching institute for repeaters. I will try and see if I can manage my college academics and still spend my maximum time in JEE preparation. If the college works seem quite large, I will DROP from the college for that semester, stay at home, and study for JEE.

This is the risk if I fail to get a good branch next year. I will have to turn to NITs again or there might be a new option of BITS colleges.
So it will mean I spent one year trying but finally reached where I had reached already.

If it is a success, I plan on getting a Dual Degree(B+M.Tech), so as to compensate for the 1 year that has been lost. Will it be a wise thing to do? Will I still be eligible to apply for MS in the US?

And about Achyut G? Can people still that? Changing from a non-cs branch to a cs branch? If it still provides the same scope, then I will reconsider joining an IIT this year, as I am getting many branches, but none of them are that good. If I can follow his example, then there will be no restriction on me to choose only the CS branch next year.

You have been of so much help yet so far.

Regards.
Umesh

My Reply #3


Dear Umesh,

About Quora -
Yes, I agree with you. Even if there are tonnes of experts on it, no one can predict the future for you. They can just give you their experience and keep the final decision on you. And I think that is what they can do at the most. Our own gut feeling sometimes defies all sorts of logic.

About Taking admission in COEP and prepare for another round of JEE-
It seems like a good idea. But you have to manage both - Engg syllabus and preparation. Since COEP is going to be your plan 'B' (In case you scored less to get a decent IIT next year), you cannot afford to lose precious first-year grades. So, there will be a time crunch for sure. As per my experience, the first semester and first year of engineering are kind of loaded. Based on your JEE knowledge you may find those first-year subjects fairly easy though. However you still will need to attend lectures and labs, isn't it?
And why COEP? Why not NITK and do the same thing there? Or you are planning to take admission in a particular JEE institute in Pune?

Losing 1 year -
If you are worried about losing 1 year of life, let me tell you, it's not losing actually. You are spending it on your own improvement. Sure there will be peer pressure. Some of your friends will already start with their first year of Engineering. They would graduate a year before you. But once you leave academia and start professional life the difference between graduation years fades away within the first few years.
In professional life it boils down to differences in competencies and people would seldom compare you on the basis of graduation year. (Unless you work for the government :) where they promote people based on the number of their years of service ).

It's of course a chance. No one can guarantee success. So no one but you need to decide. If possible find and talk to those guys who have done this before.

About Duel Degree as compensation for 1 year -
I think you are too worried about losing a year. There might be some aspect you are considering and I am totally missing here.
Well, I have no idea about how beneficial a dual degree program is. I am also not sure if that makes any difference in whether or not you can apply for MS in the US. Maybe you can apply directly for Ph.D. programs.. but better to contact some professors or something. Try faculties from IIT websites. Some will respond.

About Achyut Godbole -
He graduated with BTech in chemical engineering and then worked as a software engineer for more than 10 years before he realized that his knowledge of CS is rudimentary and it was hindering his progress as a software professional. So he started studying proper CS syllabus rigorously after 10 years of his tenure in IBM and Patni. Later he went on to become an expert in CS and switched to Management shortly after that.

It sounds odd, but I have experienced it first hand. I am a mechanical engineer and have worked as a software programmer for years. But, having sound CS knowledge is a kind of different thing than putting logic together and writing programs. A software engineer can become way too productive if he has his CS concepts cleared.

My point is- one can become a software engineer from any branch. Most of them (like me) don't have any idea if they were going to work in CS before they choose their branches while taking engineering admissions.
But if you have that clear idea, better choose CS-related branches.

If you want to contact him, here is his email.. he once wrote back to me, but he is a busy man.
So it depends when he would reply to your mail - achyut.godbole@gmail.com.
He also had given his cell number saying -
Please feel free to call me on my mobile (98xxx-xxxxx) on any day in the morning if you wish to connect.
But I never actually have called him. He is a nice person so give it a try. :)

Switching to CS after the first year of college -

I think it's possible. It depends on the availability of seats and your grades. But be absolutely sure about this by contacting the IIT faculties. Talk to someone from JEE training institute, they will also know about this.

I hope it helps. You are doing a good thing by taking opinions. I would suggest that, hear from as many people (related to the field of engineering.. not relatives :) ) as you can and decide upon one thing. And stick to it.
You already have the best and trying to choose the best of the bests.. so I am kind of feeling amazed by your situation.
All the best.


Regards,
Ashish.

_*_

image source -Image by Pixource from Pixabay

рдЯिрдк्рдкрдг्рдпा

Popular Articles on This Site

Grandma and the Dr. Pandurang Kumbhar Clinic at Nagar-Munnoli

рдЕрд╡рдХाрд╢ рдоोрд╣िрдоांрд╡рд░ рдЕрд╡ाрдврд╡्рдп рдЦрд░्рдЪ рдХрд░рдгे рдпोрдЧ्рдп рдЖрд╣े рдХा

рдЖрдЬी рдЖрдгि рдиाрдЧрд░рдоुрди्рдиोрд│ीрдЪे рдкांрдбुрд░ंрдЧ рдХुंрднाрд░ рдХ्рд▓ीрдиिрдХ